Storyteller and Communications Specialist
Do you see yourself as a story-telling and communication enthusiast, with an interest in monitoring, evaluation, accountability, and learning for international development or social projects?
Join our team as a
Story Telling and Communication Specialist
External, contract position, suitable for a professional with at least 3+ years of hands-on experience in virtual story-telling, marketing, communication and community creation.
Salanga is the creator of Kinaki. Salanga is a for-profit organization working on social enterprise principles, based in Canada and Europe. Salanga works in three areas: 1) project monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL); 2) consultancy and partnerships and; 3) safety and security for aid workers. Our clients and partners are Canadian and global non-profit organizations working in international development, humanitarian aid and social service sectors. For more details about Salanga visit https://www.salanga.org/.
An increasingly important part of Salanga’s approach is Community-led programming and MEL. Salanga contributes to the global movement of community-led programming through its work on the Community-led Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (ColMEL) approach and community of practice to (i) facilitate sustainable and equitable change to improve the health and rights of the most vulnerable and marginalized women and girls; (ii) address data gaps at the local, community and household levels; (iii) enhance the implementation of Global Affairs Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy; and, (iv) contribute to the SDGs.
Kinaki (www.kinaki.ca) is a well-established, user-centred Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) tool for project design, collecting and analyzing data; reporting on and aggregating results against the Performance Management Framework (PMF). Kinaki flows seamlessly from the Logic Model through to the PMF and Data Collection to Reports Kinaki removes technological obstacles to make project design, data collection and analysis easier, engaging and more efficient. Less time is spent calculating indicators allowing more time for analyzing results and using data as evidence to influence programming. Kinaki simplifies the MEAL processes and enables project staff to draw evidence-based conclusions.
Salanga is seeking a highly-motivated individual or group of individuals working together with experience and expertise in the design and creation of virtual storytelling, communication and marketing efforts and channels. You will help us to design and deliver semi-automated communication streams towards existing Kinaki users (via in-app communication and email) and a new audience via the Kinaki and Salanga websites, social media, various professional networks etc. You will help us to step-up our virtual presence, especially content on our websites, social media and e-leaflets. Your role may also include support in the creation of an online community of Kinaki Promoters that functions also as peer learning and marketing aid to the Kinaki community.
You will closely collaborate with our small existing team to build on existing learning, strategies and marketing efforts.
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Learn about Salanga and Kinaki;
- Explore existing communication and marketing approaches and materials;
- Collaborate on a revision of the communication and marketing strategy, including the key Kinaki Community Personas;
- Collaborate on the revision of the existing content and the design of missing content (e.g. website articles, social media posts, infographics, videos, podcasts etc.);
- Coordinate Salanga team members to ensure appropriate content is available for the timely creation of marketing and communication pieces;
- Set-up Salanga’s CRM to effectively reach and support Kinaki existing and new users and other stakeholders from Kinaki Community;
- Produce marketing content for Salanga’s and Kinaki website (using WordPress); for Kinaki in-app communication with existing and new users;
- Collaborate with other Salanga and Kinaki team members.
- Proven Experience – ideally, you have proven experience with the design of marketing campaigns targeting people working in the non-profit sector and their organizations.
- Story-telling – You are an excellent story-teller in various virtual channels (infographics, discovery articles, podcasts and other content).
- Clear written and spoken instructions – you can provide clear, easy-to-understand instructions in English (and preferably also in French) verbal and in writing.
- Responsibility and Independence – You can work independently and within our global and remote team. You are self-motivated, with the ability to assume responsibility and work under your initiative, coping with a demanding workload and prioritizing effectively. You have the flexibility to adapt to new situations that arise when working in a small, dynamic team.
- Technical Skills – you have good experience with a CRM (e.g. Agile CRM, or Mailchimp, etc.); ability to use various graphic design tools (e.g. Canva, Photoshop, Affinity Designer etc.); ability to work with WordPress.
- Graphic Design – you have a good sense of graphic design and foundations of creating visually appealing, but clear documents, presentations etc.
- Able to legally work in Canada or the EU during the entire duration of the contract.
- Availability – the ideal candidate should be available immediately (February 2021) and be available for at least the next 3 months (with the possibility of a long-term collaboration) for at least 20 hours weekly. The concrete tasks and training sessions to be delivered will be subject to mutual agreement, availability and interest from both sides. The candidate must have access to an internet connection allowing for uninterrupted video calls of good quality.
What Salanga Offers:
- Opportunity to work with and learn from senior staff on meaningful international projects for Canadian and global international development and humanitarian organizations;
- Potential for professional development and growth;
- Huge flexibility on working hours, location and other working conditions;
- Excellent contacts and professional networking;
- Fantastic, friendly and experienced global team;
- The successful candidate will work remotely from a home office.
- Opportunity for a long-term collaboration
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that Salanga doesn’t require a stand-alone resume. A profile on Linked-in or a similar service works just fine.
Please include in your cover letter an anticipated daily rate (or acceptable range) in Canadian Dollars.
Please provide at least one reference from your previous professional or school experience (this reference can be a previous employer, colleague, professor etc.).
If you want to stand-out from other candidates, send us a video, a voice recording or some interesting graphic or a link, where you introduce yourself and tell us, why you are interested in this job and why should we be interested in you as a candidate.
Recruitment is ongoing. Candidates will be screened continuously.
As an equity-seeking organization, Salanga encourages applications from qualified individuals that represent the full diversity of communities in Canada or globally, including complexities of intersecting identities such as ability, age, class, gender, race and sexual orientation. We believe that diversity builds resilience and brings better results.
Please note that Salanga has related openings – The Kinaki Learning Specialist and Kinaki Sustainability Lead that will closely collaborate with this position.